AAA car insurance review Oct 2020
Exclusive member benefits make daily drives and road trips a breeze
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want perks like trip support and towing.
- Pick something else if you want the lowest rates and online quotes.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- Established company
- Excellent customer service
- Member benefits
- Fair estimates
- No deductible on glass
- 24-hour claims
- Members only
- Limited coverage
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 14%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 7%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 37%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Leah Fallon is an editor for Finder. With 10 years of teaching English under her belt, it was a natural progression to move into editorial. She's written feature pieces for regional print and digital media and today helps fix annoying apostrophes, elusive infinitives and the muddled em and en dash. When she's not helping people with their finances, you can find her exploring the trails of Loudoun County, Virginia and wrangling her two sprightly girls.
With AAA, you get more than just standard car insurance coverage. Membership for a low annual rate gives you access to discounts and services like identity theft assistance that are rare perks among other providers. If you’re already a member or thinking of joining, it wouldn’t hurt to get a quote.
However, if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or are just looking for the cheapest rates, compare other car insurance providers. You might find a better deal from budget insurers, and you won’t have to call an agent to get a quote. Plus your local AAA club might not have the best customer service rates, since coverage is highly regional.
What's in this guide?
- How much does AAA car insurance cost?
- How to apply for AAA car insurance
- How to find AAA local agents near me
- What car insurance discounts can I get with AAA?
- What car insurance coverage does AAA offer?
- How does AAA bundling work?
- AAA car insurance reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons of AAA car insurance
- Compare alternatives to AAA car insurance
- Frequently asked questions about AAA insurance
How much does AAA car insurance cost?
Premiums vary wildly by state, but you can expect to pay between $129 and $186 a month for a full coverage policy in California. Along with that car insurance premium, you’ll pay $56 a year for its basic membership level.
How to apply for AAA car insurance
You can start your application online, by phone or in person. However, if you apply online, you’ll need to finalize your purchase over the phone.
- Visit your club’s website and enter your postal code to verify that auto insurance is available in your area.
- Hover over the Insurance drop-down menu item, then click Auto insurance.
- Scroll down and click Get a quote.
- Enter your intended policy start date, then click Start auto quote.
- Enter your personal information including name, address, etc.
- Answer the next set of questions and add another driver if necessary, then hit continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, then hit continue.
- Enter your AAA member information, explore any available discounts, then hit continue.
- Select any discounts that apply, then hit continue.
- If you’re happy with your quote, call 877-568-4222 to purchase coverage. Make sure to keep the quote reference number handy.
Call 866-568-4222 to speak to an agent, get a quote and learn about the next steps.
Visit your local branch to speak with a representative directly. Use the branch locator tool on the website to find the nearest location.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth and gender
- Address including zip code
- Social Security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number if you requested an online quote
How to find AAA local agents near me
AAA operates with local offices and agents in most regions nationwide. You can find a local agent near you in a few steps:
- From your AAA region’s main website, scroll down to the bottom. Click the Locations link.
- Select the type of storefront you’re looking for—AAA location or car care—then checkmark the insurance agent option.
- Enter your location and hit Go. Click on your preferred local office from the results.
- On the next page, scroll through the list of local agents nearby. Click View my page for more contact information.
- Call the agent or visit the address listed.
What car insurance discounts can I get with AAA?
AAA offers multiple discounts depending on what’s available in your area.
- Good student. Save up to 14.3% for maintaining good grades as a student, usually at least a B average.
- Good driver. Save up to 20% for maintaining a clean driving record.
- Loyalty. Save up to 5% after at least one year of continuous auto insurance.
- Multi-policy discounts. You can save up to 20% on your auto insurance policy when combining your coverage with home, condo, renters or life insurance.
- Multi-vehicle. You can save up to 27% when you insure two or more vehicles.
- Verified mileage. Save up to 19.3% for supplying odometer readings when requested.
What car insurance coverage does AAA offer?
AAA offers your typical auto insurance that covers your car, passengers and other drivers. Coverage includes:
- Collision. Covers repairs to your car when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Comprehensive. Provides coverage against damages not in your control, such as theft, storm damage and vandalism.
- Custom, electronic or extra equipment coverage. Get coverage or higher limits for non-factory installed items attached to your vehicle.
- Liability. Provides coverage if you’re at fault in an accident and you need to pay for the resulting costs. This is mandatory in most states.
- Medical expenses. Fills in the gaps of your health insurance if you’re injured in an accident, walking on the road or in someone else’s car.
- Personal injury protection. No matter who’s at fault, this covers medical, work loss and other expenses from auto accident injuries.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you have comprehensive or collision coverage and your vehicle is out of service for at least 24 hours, this coverage reimburses your rental car cost.
- Roadside assistance. Get help 24/7 if you lock your keys in your car, break down on the road or have a flat tire. It even covers towing your bicycle.
- Uninsured motorist. Offers coverage if you’re hit by a driver who can’t afford to pay for the damage.
What extra benefits does AAA offer?
AAA members get exclusive benefits that you can’t get with other insurance companies:
- Deals and discounts. Shave money off everything from hotels, car rentals and Amtrak to restaurants, eyeglasses and cell phones.
- Trip planning. Access travel guides that can help you plan your next trip and detailed maps to locate hotels, restaurants and gas stations.
How does AAA bundling work?
AAA rewards you with a steep discount up to 20% if you bundle car insurance with other policies, higher than most major insurance companies. Policies you can buy through AAA:
- Commercial auto
AAA car insurance reviews and complaints
AAA auto clubs around the country average an A from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) — some even get an A+. However, you will find a number of customer complaints filed with the BBB, based on the region. For example, the Automobile Club of Southern California saw over 300 complaints in the last three years, as of September 2020. Customers say that they have trouble with customer service, improper billing and poor experience with some towing and roadside service providers.
A note about customer reviews: Customer ratings and feedback can prepare you for how companies could treat you as a customer. However, many customers won’t take the time to leave positive reviews, meaning that many customers only leave reviews after a bad experience. Take these customer scores with a grain of salt.
AAA user reviews
AAA review: Dawn’s case study
Staff Associate Editor
I had AAA when I lived in Michigan and I swore I’d never use another insurance company, even if it was more expensive. When I got in an accident, my agent handled all the paperwork, helped me find a repair shop and even haggled with the mechanic to avoid declaring the car totaled.
But when I moved to Oregon, I had a different experience. You can’t get a quote online, so it took nearly a week of back-and-forth with an agent to get an idea of coverage amounts — and it still wasn’t the coverage I wanted. Plus, the agent was frustrating to deal with, which negated the whole reason I’d loved AAA in the first place.
Overall, AAA is set up in a way that makes it hard to judge the company as a whole — it all comes down to how much you like your agent.
Pros and cons of AAA car insurance
- Established company. AAA is a household name that’s been around for over a century.
- Excellent customer service. Often rated highly in J.D. Power customer satisfaction surveys.
- Member benefits. AAA offers more than car insurance to its members like discounts, assistance and more.
- Fair estimates. Repair estimates use original equipment manufactured fenders, doors and other sheet metal parts.
- No deductible on glass. No deductible on all window glass, not just the windshield.
- 24-hour claims. Enjoy convenient 24-hour claim service to get your claim completed faster.
- Members only. You’ll need to join AAA for an annual fee that ranges from $2 to $120.
- Limited coverage. With policies that vary by state, you may be able to find stronger coverage and more options with other providers.
Compare alternatives to AAA car insurance
See how AAA stacks up to competitor coverage and benefits. Click the Compare box to get the details on up to four companies side by side.
More alternatives to AAA
Frequently asked questions about AAA insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.