Exclusive member benefits make daily drives and road trips a breeze
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want perks like trip support and towing.
- Pick something else if you want the lowest rates and online quotes.
- Support and coverage varies widely by region
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Established company
- Excellent customer service
- Member benefits
- No deductible on glass
- 24-hour claims
- Members only
- Limited coverage
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 20%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 14%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 37%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is AAA auto insurance best for?
AAA auto insurance goes above and beyond standard auto insurance coverage. It offers a number of member benefits to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more convenient in the event that something goes wrong. The member benefits alongside its comprehensive coverage and flexible policy options make it best for those looking for protection that goes a step above standard car insurance.
What car insurance coverage does AAA offer?
AAA offers your typical auto insurance that covers your car, passengers and other drivers, including:
- Liability insurance. Provides coverage if you’re at fault in an accident and you need to pay for the resulting costs. This is mandatory in most states.
- Uninsured motorist. Offers coverage if you’re hit by a driver who can’t afford to compensate you.
- Comprehensive. Provides coverage against damages not in your control, such as theft, storm damage and vandalism.
- Medical. Fills in the gaps of your health insurance if you’ve had an accident, or even if you’re walking on the road or in someone else’s car.
- Collision. Covers repairs to your car when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you have comprehensive or collision coverage and your vehicle is out of service for 24 hours or more, this coverage reimburses your rental car expenses.
- No-fault coverage. Some states require no-fault insurance, sometimes called personal injury protection (PIP). No matter who is at fault, this covers medical, work loss and other expenses resulting from auto accident injuries.
- Custom, electronic or extra equipment coverage. Get coverage or higher limits for non-factory installed items attached to your vehicle.
What extra benefits and add-ons does AAA offer?
AAA members get exclusive discounts and benefits that you can’t get with other insurance companies:
- Roadside assistance. This is what AAA is most famous for. Get help 24/7 if you lock your keys in your car, break down on the side of the road or have a flat tire. It even covers you if you’re on a bicycle.
- Trip planning. Access travel guides that can help you plan your next trip and detailed maps to locate hotels, restaurants and gas stations.
- Deals and discounts. Shave money off everything from hotels, car rentals and Amtrak to restaurants, eyeglasses and cell phones.
What discounts can I get with AAA?
AAA offers multiple discounts to help bring down the price of auto insurance. Visit your local club’s website to explore discounts available in your area.
- Multi-policy discounts. You can save up to 20% on your auto insurance policy when combining your coverage with home, condo, renters, and life insurance.
- Multi-vehicle. You can save up to 27% when you insure two or more vehicles.
- Loyalty. Save up to 5.6% after at least one year of continuous auto insurance.
- Good driver. Save up to 20% for maintaining a clean driving record.
- Verified mileage. Save up to 19.3% for supplying odometer readings when requested.
- Good student. Save up to 14.3% for maintaining good grades as a student.
Pros and cons of AAA car insurance
- Established company. AAA is a household name that’s been around for over a century.
- Excellent customer service. A+ rating with A.M. Best insurance rating organization, and rated third in a 2016 J.D. Power & Associates Purchase Experience Customer Satisfaction survey.
- Member benefits. AAA offers more than car insurance to its members like discounts, assistance and more.
- Fair estimates. Repair estimates use original equipment manufactured fenders, doors and other sheet metal parts.
- No deductible on glass. No deductible on all window glass, not just the windshield
- 24-hour claims. Enjoy convenient 24-hour claim service to get your claim completed faster.
- Members only. You’ll need to join AAA for an annual fee that ranges from $2 to $120.
- Limited coverage. With policies that vary by state, you may be able to find stronger coverage and more options with other providers.
Alternatives to AAA car insurance
How to apply for AAA car insurance
Applying for car insurance with AAA can be done online, by phone or in person. Unfortunately, if you apply online, you’ll still need to call in to actually complete your purchase. Here’s how to apply for AAA auto insurance.
- Visit your club’s website and enter your postal code to verify that auto insurance is available in your area.
- Hover over the “Insurance” drop-down menu item, then click “Auto insurance.”
- Scroll down and click “Get a quote.”
- Enter your intended policy start date, then click “Start auto quote.”
- Enter your personal information including name, address, etc.
- Answer the next set of questions and add another driver if necessary, then hit continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, then hit continue.
- Enter your AAA member information, explore any available discounts, then hit continue.
- Select any discounts that apply, then hit continue.
- If you’re happy with your quote, call 877.323.4222 to purchase coverage. Make sure to keep the quote reference number handy.
Call 800-564-6222 to speak to an agent, get a quote and learn about the next steps.
Visit your local branch to speak with a representative directly. Use the branch locator tool on the website to find the nearest location.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth and gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number if you filled out an online quote
What do customers say about AAA car insurance?
AAA auto clubs around the country average an A from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) — some even get an A+. But you won’t find many positive reviews on Consumer Affairs, with customers complaining about raised premiums and poor customer service.
A note about customer reviews: Customer ratings and feedback can prepare you for how companies could treat you as a customer. However, many customers won’t take the time to leave positive reviews, meaning that many customers only leave reviews after a bad experience. Take these customer scores with a grain of salt.
Case study: Dawn’s experience
Staff Associate Editor
I had AAA when I lived in Michigan and I swore I’d never use another insurance company, even if it was more expensive. When I got in an accident, my agent handled all the paperwork, helped me find a repair shop and even haggled with the mechanic to avoid declaring the car totaled.
But when I moved to Oregon, I had a different experience. You can’t get a quote online, so it took nearly a week of back-and-forth with an agent to get an idea of coverage amounts — and it still wasn’t the coverage I wanted. Plus, the agent was frustrating to deal with, which negated the whole reason I’d loved AAA in the first place.
Overall, AAA is set up in a way that makes it hard to judge the company as a whole — it all comes down to how much you like your agent.
How to contact AAA car insurance
You can contact AAA online through its online form or email, or you can call the relevant phone number to speak with a representative directly.
What is AAA car insurance?
Headquartered in Heathrow, Florida, AAA is a nonprofit membership automobile club that was founded in 1902. The company was established out of necessity when a group of 1,500 motor club members banded together to lobby for better roads. Throughout the past century, AAA has achieved and surpassed this goal to become the largest automobile association in the US by no small margin.
Once known only for road maps, travel discounts, and roadside assistance, today AAA has more than 50 million members. The organization is made up of 51 independent clubs to provide extensive services including car insurance, travel planning, financial products and services, and much more.
Is getting your car insurance through a membership club like AAA worth it? Maybe. If you’re looking for more than just coverage for your car, you’ll also find a variety of discounts on hotels, car rentals and more. But depending on your driving history, vehicle and more, you might be able to find cheaper rates elsewhere. Keep reading to find out more in our AAA auto insurance review.
With AAA car insurance, you get more than just coverage. Membership gives you access to assistance and discounts that are perks among other providers. However, if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or are just looking for the cheapest rates, you may want to compare other car insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions about AAA insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.