Known for travel and roadside assistance, Progressive is also one of the largest auto insurance providers in the world.
You may know AAA for its roadside assistance and travel discounts. But among its member services is car insurance.
At AAA, their agents evaluate your specific needs to find the right coverage at the right price. Here’s what to look for when considering AAA, one of the nation’s largest car insurance providers.
What is AAA auto insurance?
AAA is an established nonprofit membership club founded in 1902, when a group of 1,500 motor club members banded together to lobby for better roads. Throughout the past century, AAA has accomplished this goal and more.
Once known only for road maps, travel discounts and roadside assistance, today AAA has more than 50 million members and provides extensive services, including car insurance, travel planning and financial products and services.
This not-for-profit’s national headquarters are located in Heathrow, Florida.
Is getting your car insurance through a membership club like AAA worth it? Maybe. If you’re looking for more than just coverage for your car, you’ll also find a variety of discounts on hotels, car rentals and more. But depending on your driving history, vehicle and more, you might be able to find cheaper rates elsewhere.
What does AAA auto insurance offer?
AAA offers your typical auto insurance that covers your car, your passenger and other drivers, including:
- Liability insurance. Coverage if you’re at fault in an accident and you need to pay for the resulting costs. This is mandatory in most states.
- Uninsured motorist. Coverage if you’re hit by a driver who can’t afford to compensate you.
- Comprehensive. Coverage against damages not in your control, such as theft, storm damage and vandalism.
- Medical. Fills in the gaps of your health insurance if you’ve had an accident, or even if you’re walking on the road or in someone else’s car.
- Collision. Covers repairs to your car when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you have comprehensive or collision coverage and your vehicle is out of service for 24 hours or more, this coverage reimburses your rental car expenses.
- No-fault coverage. Some states require no-fault insurance, sometimes called personal injury protection (PIP). No matter who is at fault this covers medical, work loss and other expenses resulting from auto accident injuries.
- Custom, electronic or extra equipment coverage. Get coverage or higher limits of coverage for non-factory installed items attached to your vehicle.
AAA members get exclusive discounts and benefits that you can’t get with other insurance companies. But you’ll need to decide whether they’re worth the membership fee.
- Roadside assistance. This is what AAA is most famous for. Get help 24/7 if you lock your keys in your car, break down on the side of the road or have a flat tire. It even covers you if you’re on a bicycle!
- Trip planning. Access travel guides that can help you plan your next trip and detailed maps to locate hotels, restaurants and gas stations.
- Deals and discounts. Shave money off everything from hotels, car rentals and Amtrak to restaurants, eyeglasses and cell phones.
The cost of your AAA membership depends on which region of the country you live in and which level of membership you select. But you can expect to pay anywhere from $21 to $120 a year.
For example, if you live in the Southeast, you can choose from the following membership levels.
- Classic: $59
- Plus: $94
- Premier: $120
- Established company. AAA is a household name that’s been around for over a century.
- Excellent customer service. A+ rating with A.M. Best insurance rating organization, and rated third in a 2016 J.D. Power & Associates Purchase Experience Customer Satisfaction survey.
- Member benefits. AAA offers more than car insurance to its members like discounts, assistance and more.
- Fair estimates. Repair estimates use original equipment manufactured fenders, doors and other sheet metal parts.
- No deductible on glass. No deductible on all window glass — not just the windshield
- 24-hour claims. Enjoy convenient 24-hour claim service to get your claim completed faster.
- Members only. You’ll need to join AAA at an annual fee of $2 to $120.
- Limited coverage. With policies that vary by state, you may be able to find stronger coverage and more options with other providers.
- Inconsistent customer service. Some customers report problems with AAA car insurance.
Does AAA offer other other types of insurance?
AAA focuses on vehicles and coverage for your other valuable assets that include:
- Home, condo or renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Motorcycle, boat, ATV or RV insurance
- Life insurance
- Pet insurance
- Travel insurance
- Medicare supplement & health insurance
- Business insurance
What customers have to say about AAA car insurance?
AA auto clubs around the country average an A from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) — some even get an A+. But you won’t find many positive reviews on Consumer Affairs, with customers complaining about raised premiums and poor customer service.
A note about customer reviews: Customer ratings and feedback can prepare you for how companies could treat you as a a customer, but many customers only leave reviews after a bad experience. Take these customer scores with a grain of salt.
With AAA auto insurance, you get more than just coverage. Membership gives you access to assistance and discounts that are perks among other providers.
But if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or are just looking for the cheapest rates, compare car insurance providers.