We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
AAA auto insurance goes above and beyond standard coverage with a number of member benefits
You may know AAA for its roadside assistance and travel discounts. But among its member services is car insurance. At AAA, agents evaluate your specific needs to find the right coverage at the right price. This AAA auto insurance review covers everything you should look for when considering one of the nation’s largest car insurance providers.
|Name||AAA Car Insurance|
|Description||Known for travel and roadside assistance, AAA is also one of the largest auto insurance providers in the world.|
- Established company
- Excellent customer service
- Member benefits
- No deductible on glass
- 24-hour claims
- Members only
- Limited coverage
- Inconsistent customer service
What is AAA auto insurance?
Headquartered in Heathrow, Florida, AAA is a nonprofit membership automobile club that was founded in 1902. The company was established out of necessity when a group of 1,500 motor club members banded together to lobby for better roads. Throughout the past century, AAA has achieved and surpassed this goal to become the largest automobile association in the US by no small margin.
Once known only for road maps, travel discounts, and roadside assistance, today AAA has more than 50 million members. The organization is made up of 51 independent clubs to provide extensive services including car insurance, travel planning, financial products and services, and much more.
Is getting your car insurance through a membership club like AAA worth it? Maybe. If you’re looking for more than just coverage for your car, you’ll also find a variety of discounts on hotels, car rentals and more. But depending on your driving history, vehicle and more, you might be able to find cheaper rates elsewhere. Keep reading to find out more in our AAA auto insurance review.
Who is AAA auto insurance best for?
AAA auto insurance goes above and beyond standard auto insurance coverage. It offers a number of member benefits to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more convenient in the event that something goes wrong. The member benefits alongside its comprehensive coverage and flexible policy options make it best for those looking for protection that goes a step above standard car insurance.
What coverage options does AAA auto insurance offer?
AAA offers your typical auto insurance that covers your car, passengers and other drivers, including:
- Liability insurance. Provides coverage if you’re at fault in an accident and you need to pay for the resulting costs. This is mandatory in most states.
- Uninsured motorist. Offers coverage if you’re hit by a driver who can’t afford to compensate you.
- Comprehensive. Provides coverage against damages not in your control, such as theft, storm damage and vandalism.
- Medical. Fills in the gaps of your health insurance if you’ve had an accident, or even if you’re walking on the road or in someone else’s car.
- Collision. Covers repairs to your car when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you have comprehensive or collision coverage and your vehicle is out of service for 24 hours or more, this coverage reimburses your rental car expenses.
- No-fault coverage. Some states require no-fault insurance, sometimes called personal injury protection (PIP). No matter who is at fault, this covers medical, work loss and other expenses resulting from auto accident injuries.
- Custom, electronic or extra equipment coverage. Get coverage or higher limits for non-factory installed items attached to your vehicle. Learn more about modified car insurance.
Discounts offered by AAA auto insurance
AAA offers multiple discounts to help bring down the price of auto insurance. While you can explore many of the potential discounts when you apply for a quote, here’s a quick peek at what’s available:
- Multi-policy discounts. You can save up to 20% on your auto insurance policy when combining your coverage with home, condo, renters, and life insurance.
- Multi-vehicle. You can save up to 27% when you insure two or more vehicles.
- Loyalty. Save up to 5.6% after at least one year of continuous auto insurance.
- Good driver. Save up to 20% for maintaining a clean driving record.
- Verified mileage. Save up to 19.3% for supplying odometer readings when requested.
- Good student. Save up to 14.3% for maintaining good grades as a student.
There are a handful of discounts available, though they vary between each state and club. Visit your local club’s website to explore discounts available in your area.
Does AAA offer any special programs?
AAA members get exclusive discounts and benefits that you can’t get with other insurance companies:
- Roadside assistance. This is what AAA is most famous for. Get help 24/7 if you lock your keys in your car, break down on the side of the road or have a flat tire. It even covers you if you’re on a bicycle!
- Trip planning. Access travel guides that can help you plan your next trip and detailed maps to locate hotels, restaurants and gas stations.
- Deals and discounts. Shave money off everything from hotels, car rentals and Amtrak to restaurants, eyeglasses and cell phones.
The cost of your AAA membership depends on which region of the country you live in and which level of membership you select. But you can expect to pay anywhere from $21 to $120 a year.
For example, if you live in the Southeast, you can choose from the following membership levels.
- Classic: $59
- Plus: $94
- Premier: $120
What won’t AAA auto insurance cover?
AAA auto insurance provides coverage for a number of situations, and through its extensive network and service offerings, its coverage is quite comprehensive. However, here’s what it won’t cover.
- AAA auto insurance is only available to members, meaning if you aren’t a member, you won’t have access to any of its services.
- Members who fall behind on their member fees can lose auto insurance coverage along with access to member benefits.
- If you get stuck in the snow, winching services are not included for snowbound vehicle recovery
- Service providers will not shovel snow, mud or sand to tow your vehicle.
- Vehicles will not be recovered from places that are not considered a public road. This includes beaches, vacant lots, playgrounds, creek beds, fields, boat ramps, private roads, and more.
Pros and cons of AAA car insurance
- Established company. AAA is a household name that’s been around for over a century.
- Excellent customer service. A+ rating with A.M. Best insurance rating organization, and rated third in a 2016 J.D. Power & Associates Purchase Experience Customer Satisfaction survey.
- Member benefits. AAA offers more than car insurance to its members like discounts, assistance and more.
- Fair estimates. Repair estimates use original equipment manufactured fenders, doors and other sheet metal parts.
- No deductible on glass. No deductible on all window glass — not just the windshield
- 24-hour claims. Enjoy convenient 24-hour claim service to get your claim completed faster.
- Members only. You’ll need to join AAA for an annual fee that ranges from $2 to $120.
- Limited coverage. With policies that vary by state, you may be able to find stronger coverage and more options with other providers.
- Inconsistent customer service. Some customers report problems with AAA car insurance.
What do customers have to say about AAA Aar Insurance?
AAA auto clubs around the country average an A from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) — some even get an A+. But you won’t find many positive reviews on Consumer Affairs, with customers complaining about raised premiums and poor customer service.
A note about customer reviews: Customer ratings and feedback can prepare you for how companies could treat you as a customer. However, many customers won’t take the time to leave positive reviews, meaning that many customers only leave reviews after a bad experience. Take these customer scores with a grain of salt.
How to apply for AAA auto insurance
Applying for auto insurance with AAA can be done online, by phone or in person, but if you apply online you’ll need to call in to actually purchase a policy, unfortunately. Here’s how to apply for AAA auto insurance.
- Visit your club’s website and enter your postal code to verify that auto insurance is available in your area.
- Hover over the “Insurance” drop-down menu item, then click “Auto insurance.”
- Scroll down and click “Get a quote.”
- Enter your intended policy start date, then click “Start auto quote.”
- Enter your personal information including name, address, etc.
- Answer the next set of questions and add another driver if necessary, then hit continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, then hit continue.
- Enter your AAA member information, explore any available discounts, then hit continue.
- Select any discounts that apply, then hit continue.
- If you’re happy with your quote, call 877.323.4222 to purchase coverage. Make sure to keep the quote reference number handy.
Call 800-564-6222 to speak to an agent, get a quote and learn about the next steps.
Visit your local branch to speak with a representative directly. Use the branch locator tool on the website to find the nearest location.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
- Quote reference number if you filled out an online quote
How to file a claim with AAA auto insurance
Filing a claim with AAA all starts online, but unfortunately can’t be completed without the help of an agent. Here’s how to get started on filing a claim with AAA auto insurance:
- Visit your club’s website and hover over the “Insurance” drop-down menu item.
- Click on “Make an auto insurance claim.”
- Fill out your personal information, vehicle details, along with details about your incident.
- Enter your contact info and the best time to contact you.
- Click “Submit,” and an AAA claims representative will contact you with more information.
How do I contact AAA auto insurance?
You can contact AAA online through its online form or via email, or you can call the relevant phone number to speak with a representative directly.
What other coverage does AAA offer?
AAA focuses on vehicles and coverage for your other valuable assets that include:
- Home, condo and renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Motorcycle, boat, ATV or RV insurance
- Life insurance
- Pet insurance
- Travel insurance
- Medicare supplement & health insurance
- Business insurance
What other insurance providers are similar to AAA auto insurance?
If you like the perks and coverage that AAA has to offer but can’t get it in your state or want to explore similar options, these other providers might be worth considering:
- Allstate. Allstate is one of the most popular auto insurance providers in the country, and for good reason. It offers a wide range of products and features and even has a separate motor club to provide benefits similar to what AAA has to offer.
- Progressive. This provider is known for its large range of policies and product options, which might offer a policy more closely tailored to your needs. However, its member benefits are lacking compared to AAA.
- Geico. Geico tends to be the cheapest among mid-range insurance providers for most average drivers, and also ranks above average for customer satisfaction. However, since it is not a motor club like AAA, you may not receive the same member benefits.
With AAA auto insurance, you get more than just coverage. Membership gives you access to assistance and discounts that are perks among other providers. However, if you don’t want to pay an annual fee or are just looking for the cheapest rates, you may want to compare other car insurance providers.