Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare $5 million life insurance policies
High-dollar coverage may not be as expensive as you think, but only if you’re in good health.
What's in this guide?
How much does a $5 million life insurance policy cost?
Your premium depends on personal factors, such as your age, health and habits. If you’re healthy and don’t smoke, you can get a 20-year term policy for $131 a month for a 30-year-old man or $99 a month as a woman. But smokers pay a serious premium for the same level, with a man paying $621 a month and a woman paying $485.
* Based on sample rates from Policygenius, August 2020
Is a $5 million life insurance policy right for me?
How much coverage you need depends on your family’s lifestyle, future financial needs and how much your family depends on your financial contribution. Estate planners recommend buying coverage at five to 10 times your annual salary, but here are additional expenses to factor in:
- Mortgage. Consider the monthly expense of your home, how much you owe and how long it might take your family to pay off your mortgage. If you’re seeing high numbers, consider a policy to match.
- Tuition. Whether your kids are in private schools or planning for college education, factoring in tuition expenses can ensure your children get the education you want for them, even after you’re gone.
- Long-term care. If you’re responsible for elderly or ill family members, life insurance can go a long way to help cover their medical care and future expenses in your absence.
- End-of-life expenses. Funeral costs and hospital stays can eat into the money your family needs to get by. Planning to cover these costs with your life insurance money can ensure your family can stay afloat.
- Business costs. Consider whether your business is one you want to keep in the family, or if you simply need to help cover expenses until the business can be sold.
- Estate taxes. If you have an estate worth over $11.58 million, the 2020 estate tax threshold, your life insurance can help pay the taxes to keep your family from having to sell off assets to foot the bill.
Can I get a $5 million coverage policy?
How much coverage you’re eligible for depends on two main factors: your age and your annual income. Because coverage is based in part on your earning potential and present and future financial obligations, starting your policy younger increases your eligibility for a higher coverage level.
Your current income is also a factor in eligibility. Insurers typically offer between 10 and 20 times your current annual income, which means you may need to make close to $250,000 to $500,000 a year to be approved for a $5 million policy. Where you work also matters, since some insurers see working for a corporation as more stable than being self-employed.
Can I get this much coverage without a medical exam?
No. A $5 million policy usually requires a medical questionnaire and a 20- to 30-minute medical exam that you can schedule at your leisure. You may even be able to request smaller, temporary life insurance coverage while you wait for the results of your exam.
Policies that don’t require medical underwriting, such as simplified issue and guaranteed issue life insurance, usually cap at around $250,000 of coverage.
Compare life insurance companies with high coverage amounts
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Permanent life insurance policyholders can now funnel more money into cash value
A new change to the tax code quietly went into effect on January 1, lowering the minimum interest rate for permanent life insurance policies.
How to use life insurance to pay for retirement
A permanent life insurance policy’s cash value can be used as a retirement income supplement, though using it reduces your policy’s death benefit.
Cost of pets
How much do pets actually cost? We’ve crunched the numbers.
Disability insurance for business owners
Getting a policy can be complicated, but it offers protection for you and your employees.
Talkspace review Jan 2021
Send unlimited messages to your therapist for $260 a month with this app.
How to separate your finances during divorce
Ways to protect your assets and what you need to know about marital debt.
How long does it take to get disability insurance benefits?
Which type of disability insurance you have influences how long it’ll take you to receive benefits. Find out how long you may have to wait.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
FMLA vs. disability insurance
These protections work together to help you make it through your medical leave.
12 green brands that plant trees with every purchase
Branch out by supporting these socially responsible businesses.
Ask an Expert