3 Step Divorce review
An online DIY service that provides paperwork to file in your state — without legal advice.
3 Step Divorce provides the necessary forms you need to file for divorce in addition to clear step-by-step instructions on the filing process and a few extra tools to track visitation and child support payments. But it doesn’t spare you the trip to the courthouse to file your paperwork.
|Cost||$299 - $336|
|Includes filing papers with court?||
No - you must file and pay court fees
|File without spouse||Yes|
|Divorce papers reviewed?||Yes|
- Clear step-by-step instructions
- Option for a payment plan
- Free tech support
- You must file forms yourself
- Court filing fee isn't included
- Requires billing information when you create a profile
How does 3 Step Divorce work?
3 Step Divorce is an online divorce service that helps prepare the forms you need to file for a divorce.
Answer a series of nonlegal questions written in plain language, and 3 Step Divorce uses your responses to complete the fields in documents relevant to your family’s needs. When the divorce forms are complete, you choose to print your paperwork or receive them by mail for free.
You’ll also get step-by-step instructions on how to file for your divorce in your state.
The company claims it’s possible for you to answer the questions and get your completed forms within an hour, but otherwise you can work through the information at your own pace.
How much does 3 Step Divorce cost?
The service costs a flat fee of $299.
Pay a fee to split up the cost into budget-friendly monthly installments:
- Two monthly payments of $157 — for a total of $314
- Three monthly payments of $109 — for a total of $327
- Four monthly payments of $84 — for a total of $336
3 Step Divorce’s Same-Day Filing cash rebate
Save $50 off the cost of 3 Step Divorce when you file your divorce forms within a business day of starting your service.
Submit the proof you need for the cash rebate in four steps:
- Complete, print and file your forms at court.
- Ask for a time-stamped copy of the petition or complaint at the time of filing.
- Complete 3 Step Divorce’s cash rebate form.
- Submit form and documentation to 3 Step Divorce.
Does 3 Step Divorce guarantee court approval?
Yes. 3 Step Divorce guarantees the court will approve your documents or your money back.
The guarantee stipulates if the court rejects your motion “due to the fault of 3 Step Solutions,” you’ll receive a full refund minus the handling fee.
How to file for divorce online with 3 Step Divorce
3 Step Divorce advertises the ability to complete your forms in an hour, with documents ready to print, sign and file in about five steps:
- Create an account on the website.
- Select your state and payment method.
- Answer personal and financial questions about you and your spouse, including how you will divide your assets.
- Download and print your forms or request a copy mailed to you.
- Sign your documents, reading the accompanying filing procedure to learn whether your state requires a notarized signature.
- Take all the documents to your local courthouse or county clerk to officially file for divorce.
Pros and cons
3 Step Divorce can provide the forms you need to file for divorce, populating the necessary fields based on the answers you provide, among other benefits:
- Monthly installments. Split up the flat fee into monthly payments, while still getting immediate access to your completed forms and filing instructions.
- Clear instructions. Get step-by-step filing instructions that lay out what each document is, who needs to sign it and how to file it. Avoid surprises with access to state requirements, such as mandatory parenting class, that you must complete before filing.
- Free revisions. If you find yourself needing to edit or change information in your documents, you can do so without a charge.
- Toll-free tech support. Get help with the system or software weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.
Like most digital divorce services, 3 Step Divorce can’t replace the support you’d get from a lawyer. And you’re still on the hook for court filing fees, which you’ll want to weigh against other potential drawbacks:
- Requires immediate payment. You must enter your billing information when you create a profile, which the platform charges you when you begin using the software and service. If you and your spouse decide not to divorce before completing the forms, you’ll need to cancel your account and request a refund.
- You must file forms yourself. While 3 Step Divorce provides the tools you need to file for divorce, there’s no option to have the paperwork filed for you. Instead, you’ll need to go to your local courthouse, submit your forms and pay filing fees to start the divorce process officially.
What else does 3 Step Divorce offer?
- Document delivery. If you don’t have a printer or prefer mailed forms, 3 Step Divorce can send your divorce papers to you at no additional charge.
- Educational resources. Download free books and research manuals on divorce from a library covering legal, financial and emotional topics.
- Name change kit. 3 Step Divorce can guide you through the process of changing your last name after a divorce.
- Custody management tool. Manage visitation schedules and child support payments through the service’s tracking and reporting tool.
Compare 3 Step Divorce to other services
See how 3 Step Divorce stacks up against other online divorce services.
Is 3 Step Divorce legit?
Yes. 3 Step Divorce is a sister company of Divorce Source, which has been in business since 1997 and claims to have helped more than 10 million people.
While it’s possible to file for divorce without this service, it can save you time in tracking down the forms you need to file for divorce in your state. There are no hidden fees, and you’re guaranteed court acceptance of your documents backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.
3 Step Divorce reviews and complaints
While you won’t find reviews with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for 3 Step Divorce, its parent company — Divorce Source — garners a handful of complaints. Nearly all take issue with the company’s business practice of immediately charging your credit card, whether you complete the forms or not. 3 Step Divorce has since resolved most complaints.
As of October 2020, reviews for 3 Step Divorce on TrustPilot are mostly positive. Many users praise how easy and fast the process was. A few customers expressed frustration at not knowing their state offers e-filing options, which means they might not have needed 3 Step Divorce at all.
|BBB||A+ BBB Rating for parent company Divorce Source based on internal criteria|
|BestCompany||Not available yet|
|ConsumerAffairs.com||Not available yet|
|Trustpilot||4.6 stars based on nearly 1,521 reviews|
Get help in two ways — often within 24 hours:
- Phone. Call 800-680-9052 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- Email. Write to email@example.com or submit an online support request from your account.
3 Step Divorce provides the state-specific divorce papers you need with clear, step-by-step instructions on how and where you and your spouse need to sign. But you may be able to skip this service entirely if your state allows you to e-file.
But it’s not the only digital divorce site vying for your business. Before you hand over your credit card details, consider other online divorce services to fit your schedule and budget.