24PetWatch pet insurance review
Keep keen eyes on your pet’s health with robust coverage, free perks and microchip services
- Get a quote if you already use this company’s microchip services.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for the cheapest rates.
Up to 10 years
Up to 1000$
Up to 90%
|Types of policy||Wellness, Accident, Illness|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
24PetWatch offers a wealth of services from pet insurance with free coverage included to microchip monitoring for lost pet recovery. Plus, you won’t have to wait long to cover common situations like accidents and minor illnesses.
However, the company’s robust services come at a cost, and some pet owners won’t be willing to pay extra for services they may not need. If you opt for a quote with this company, read through an example policy in your state, paying attention to exclusions.
Then, gather quotes from multiple pet insurance companies before making your final decision.
What pet insurance coverage does 24PetWatch offer?
24PetWatch lays out well-rounded coverage for your pet’s protection, including:
- Diagnostics. Help your vet diagnose your canine or feline with standard tests, including bloodwork, X-rays or ultrasounds.
- Exam fees. Unlike most other pet policies, 24PetWatch includes coverage for this fee in their standard plans.
- Accidents. Pay for vet care related to accidental situations like your pet ingesting an object or getting injured on a walk. You can also opt to only cover these accidental situations.
- Illnesses. Make sure your furry family member gets the care they need when sickness strikes, whether it’s chronic joint issues or a simple ear infection.
- Prescription medicine and diets. Pick up the medicine that your vet prescribes without paying the whole cost out of pocket, including prescription diet food.
- Hospitalization and emergency care. Drop your beloved companion off at the hospital for emergency or overnight care without adding vet bills to your worries.
- Surgery. Stay confident that you can give your pet the right treatment, even when the vet advises more intrusive measures than medicine.
- Alternative care. Holistic or alternative therapies like acupuncture and stem cell therapy are covered by your plan.
- Rehabilitation therapy. Offer your pet the option of different therapies for strength after a surgery or to learn a new way of getting around.
What extra benefits and add-ons does 24PetWatch offer?
This company goes beyond what comes standard with pet insurance coverage, including these extra benefits at no extra charge and without applying a deductible:
- Boarding kennel fees. Get $25 per day, up to $500, for kennel costs if you’re hospitalized for 48 hours or longer.
- Trip cancellation. If you’re planning to travel but have to cancel because your pet needs life-saving, emergency care, 24PetWatch covers your nonrefundable expenses.
- Lost pet recovery. Use your plan’s $500 lost pet funds to search for your pet and give a reward to anyone who returns your furry friend.
- Additional living expenses. If you need to relocate housing in an emergency, pay additional kennel fees without worrying about the extra cost.
- Euthanasia and cremation. Your policy can pay $200 for euthanasia and cremation services if related to an accident or illness.
- Accidental death. You’ll get reimbursed for your pet’s purchase price up to $1,000, if your pet sees an untimely death from an accidental event.
Along with these benefits, you can choose routine care coverage with most plans for well-rounded protection:
- Routine care. Add basic or advanced coverage for routine vet visits and vaccines to your lineup of insurance coverage. The advanced plan also provides benefits for dental cleanings and preventive medicine.
How much is 24PetWatch pet insurance?
Policies with 24PetWatch cost $25 to $45 monthly for cats or $50 to $100 monthly for dogs, a high premium compared to other pet insurance companies. With competitors, you’d expect monthly payments around $20 for cats or $40 for dogs.
24PetWatch pet insurance quotes
We compared quotes with these profiles for pets in New York state.
|Breed||Age||Gender||Deductible||Reimbursement||Maximum benefit||Monthly rate|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$500||80%||$5,000||$24.90|
|Cat||Domestic shorthair||2 years||Female||$250||80%||$20,000||$46.04|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$500||80%||$5,000||$52.20|
|Dog||Mixed breed – medium size||2 years||Female||$250||80%||$20,000||$98.04|
Routine care coverage
Add the basic wellness plan for $10 per month or the advanced plan with extra routine services covered for $25 per month. These plans cost an expected amount based on the coverage levels included.
Which discounts can I get?
You can fetch a few discounts for your pet’s security or customer loyalty:
- Microchip. Enjoy 5% off your premium if your pet has a microchip to help recover your furry friend if they get lost.
- Multiple pets. Shave a few dollars off your total premium when you add another pet to this same insurance company.
Pros and cons of 24PetWatch pet insurance
- Short waiting periods. If you enroll today, you can get coverage for accidents by tomorrow. For common illnesses like rashes, infections or parasites, you’ll get coverage three days after enrolling. Longer waits may apply to low-tier policies.
- Can pay vets directly. Opt to work with vets who accept insurance payments directly, and you won’t have to reimburse money from your own bank account.
- Offers routine care and microchip services. Not every pet insurer offers this option.
- Extra pet perks. With your accident and illness policy, you’ll get protection such as lost pet recovery, travel interruptions and kennel fees. Plus, the extra coverage costs nothing and doesn’t require your deductible to use it.
- High premiums. This company’s extra features come at a higher cost than you might pay with other insurance companies.
- Lower limits apply to specific treatments. 24PetWatch sets lower annual limits than your main policy for therapeutic food, alternative therapy and ambulance services.
24PetWatch pet insurance reviews and complaints
24PetWatch isn’t rated by the Better Business Bureau, as of September 2020. However, its pet insurance policies are backed by the North River Insurance Company. North River holds a 0.49 score with the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index.
The NAIC index scores companies based on their number of complaints compared to the business’s size. Since 1.00 is considered the national standard, anything less than that score shows fewer complaints than normal.
How do I sign up?
You can fill out a short application by getting a quote online or by calling 866-597-2424. Follow these steps to apply online:
- From the 24PetWatch main website, click Get a Quote.
- Enter basic details like your pet’s name, breed, age and ZIP code. Fill out basic personal information. Click Continue.
- View your pet’s plan options and adjust your preferred deductible. Choose whether to accept wellness coverage, then click View Cart Summary.
- Review your policy information, add any other pets and continue to purchase.
- Fill out your payment details and submit your application.
What’s not covered?
This insurer keeps a specific list of exclusions that you should read through before buying a policy. Those include:
- Pre-existing conditions.
- Conditions that can be prevented by spaying or neutering.
- Preventable conditions caused by neglect, ignoring professional advice or not following common preventive healthcare.
- Breeding or pregnancy.
- Routine care, unless you add it to your policy.
- Cosmetic procedures.
- Nonmedical pet shipping or transportation.
- Racing, guarding, fighting or any other professional use of your pet.
- Experimental treatments.
- Any conditions caused by earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding, wildfire, war, nuclear incidents, epidemics or pandemics and illegal actions.
- Euthanasia for aggressive pets or financial reasons.
- Funeral services.