Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
21st birthday gift ideas for him and her
Looking for the perfect present for a 21st birthday? You've come to the right place.
Whether you’re a parent, a relative or a friend to the birthday boy or girl, finding that perfect 21st birthday gift can be challenging. Although you could just buy the newly legal drinker a bottle of wine, we have some ideas to help you find a cool, memorable gift that’s sure to be a hit.
Top 21st birthday gifts
Looking for ideas for great gifts that anyone would love? Check out our top picks for versatile and unique 21st birthday gifts that will definitely make an impression.
tall white co ord quilted health is wealth oversized polo shirt
Black Stainless Apple Watch
Galaxy S20+ 5G BTS Edition
Macrame detail pink yoga set
Soundsport® Free wireless earbuds
'Idiom - Heart Of Gold' Bangle by Kate Spade
Tartelette Toasted Eyeshadow Palette
Fire HD 8 Tablet with Alexa
Inexpensive and cheap 21st birthday gifts
Sometimes you have to shop for a gift on a budget, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find something great. Here are our favorite inexpensive gifts that won’t break the bank.
Exploding kittens card game
Pin it cork + dry erase board
Gabba goods wine holder bluetooth shower speaker
Hidrate spark 3 smart water bottle
Plum Plump™ hyaluronic acid serum
Westminster Butt Face Soap
For her: Best 21st birthday gifts for girls
Not sure what your girlfriend, daughter, sister or another lady in your life would like for her 21st birthday? We have a few ideas to get you started.
- Wine tasting. An experience gift is a great way to celebrate her new right to drink. If she doesn’t have a lot of extra spending money, she might not be able to afford a wine tasting on her own, so it’s the perfect gift to add a bit of luxury to life. Cloud9Living has wine tasting options in many areas of the US.
- Succulents. Add some life to the birthday girl’s dorm or apartment with a succulent. It’s not as much responsibility as a real plant, plus it’s cute and trendy.
- Wine of the month subscription. Yes, there are two wine related gifts on this list. If you want to give a great gift, try one that keeps on giving. Specifically one that keeps giving the birthday girl wine, every month.
- A growler. If you don’t know, growlers are glass or metal containers that can be filled with beer, cider, kombucha or another fizzy drink from a tap and taken home. Most cities have growler fill stations, making this a useful gift for the new 21 year old to discover her taste in alcohol.
- Big Bad-Ass Book of Shots. This is a fun drink recipe book that’s perfect for social girls who love to party and have a good time. It’s hip, practical and possibly educational.
For him: Best 21st birthday gifts for guys
- A personalized flask. This is a unique and classy gift that the birthday boy will always remember. Have it embossed with his initials to add an extra personal touch.
- Cuff links. For a more expensive and sentimental gift, cuff links will come in handy in the birthday boy’s blossoming adult life. This is a perfect gift for an older relative like a father or an uncle to purchase.
- Bottle opener key chain. For a simple gift, try an attractive key chain that doubles as a bottle opener. It’s nothing if not practical and you can have it personalized for an extra special touch.
- Concert tickets. People in their 20s love to go out but often can’t afford to. Sponsor the birthday boy’s next night out by getting him tickets to see his favorite artist.
- Proof: The Science of Booze. This alcohol-themed book makes a fun, interesting and educational 21st birthday gift. It’s sure to appeal to curious types.
How to choose the best 21st birthday gift
21 is a huge milestone and should not be treated like any other birthday. It’s the final transition into adulthood and all the privileges and responsibilities that it entails. You should try to make this day extra special by using these tips to buy a gift thoughtfully.
- Questions to ask yourself:To start on your birthday present buying adventures, you’ll need to ask yourself what you know about the recipient. What are their interests? Think about what you two enjoy doing together, the memories you’ve shared, and the embarrassing moments, too. You know, the dirt. A 21st birthday party is nothing if it doesn’t celebrate the highs and lows, the talents and the (lovable) faults, of the one celebrating their birthday.
- Don’t worry about price, worry about thoughtfulness:The best gift is one that reflects your friendship or relationship. Even an inexpensive gag gift can go a long way if it has some thought or sentimental value attached to it. Also, think about the kind of person they are. They might prefer something a little more decadent, or they might be the kind of person who doesn’t like physical gifts, but prefers experiences. This could mean the difference between buying them an expensive candle or buying them a scuba diving adventure.
- Save money by going in on a group gift: If you’re on a budget, the best way to get a gift that’s worthy of a 21st birthday is by buying a group gift. Ask mutual friends who are attending the party if they’d like to chip in to buy something and see how many people you can get involved. In theory, the more people who opt in, the bigger and better the present you’ll be able to buy. If you’re not that close with the birthday boy or girl, this is a great way to skip the gifting decisions altogether as you can ask the person in the group who knows them best to choose the gift.
- Whatever you decide…Remember, even if the invite says “no presents required”, it’s a nice gesture to bring something, even if it’s small. The best gifts are the thoughtful ones, so spare some time to consider your friend and your friendship before you start shopping.
Top retailers to shop at for 21st birthday gifts
Current deals and offers
More guides on Finder
Gifting during coronavirus: 50+ ideas for $5 to $150
Browse more than 50 hand-picked gift ideas for kids, friends, family and even essential workers to help spread some cheer while social distancing.
Christmas gift ideas for her
Make her eyes light up with a thoughtful gift picked just for her.
Father’s Day gift ideas
In need of Father’s Day gift ideas? A poem to write in the card? We’ve got them all.
Christmas gifts for someone who has everything
What’s Santa’s elf to do? Surprise the one who’s got it all with one of these picks.
The Book of Everyone promo codes and review
A captivating gift for the one who has everything but a book with their name on it — and who doesn’t need that?
Top gifts under $50
Buying a gift doesn’t need to be hard. We’ve found some of the best gifts to help you choose from that are unique and under $50.
How to choose and send birthday flowers
Choosing the right flowers to give on someone’s birthday isn’t rocket science. Pay attention to a few aspects and you’re sure to get things right.
Epic birthday gifts for the obsessed Game of Thrones fan
Got a GoT fan on your hands? Yeah you do! Now, to buy them the perfect Game of Thrones Gift. We’ve got a bunch to choose from.
Valentine’s Day gifts for your husband
We’ve hand-picked unique gifts to suit every budget – and man.
21st Century car insurance review
Drivers in California can get low rates, discounts and a convenient mobile app with 21st Century car insurance, backed by Farmers Insurance.
Ask an Expert