1st Guard supplemental truck insurance review Jul 2021
Find a wide base of supplemental coverage for leased owner-operators.
- Get a quote if you need add-on coverage for your leased truck.
- Pick something else if you need primary insurance or own a tractor trailer.
- Leased owner-operators can get coverage and perks.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone, mail|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Helpful add-on coverage
- Discounts available
- Covers high-value trucks
- Fleet data resources
- Confusing website info
- No online quotes
- Leased owner-operators only
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
1st Guard offers wide supplemental coverage for leased owner-operators, including coverage for high-value trucks, lost income and several discounts. However, the company provides nothing in basic insurance such as general liability, and it specializes in coverage for leased owner-operators only. Also, while there is an online management system, you won’t be able to get a quote online.
How to contact 1st Guard
1st Guard includes several ways you can get in contact with a representative:
- Phone. Talk directly with a rep by calling 800-995-4827 on Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- Online. Manage your fleet through your online account.
- Email. Use the website’s contact form or email WriteUs@1stGuard.com.
- Mail. Send important documents or visit the company in person at:
- 200 Nokomis Ave South FL
- Venice, FL 34285
What commercial truck insurance does 1st Guard offer?
1st Guard offers coverage for leased owner-operators to fill in gaps not provided by the trucking company:
- Physical damage. Pay for damage to your truck, whether the accident occurs during business or personal use.
- Nontrucking liability. Make sure you’re covered for personal use of the tractor-trailer you’re leasing.
- Loan gap. Protect your wallet if your truck is deemed a total loss but you still owe money on your lease after the claim is settled.
- Truck rental reimbursement. Pay most of the cost of a rental truck when your usual one is in the shop.
- Roadside assistance. Find the help you need for roadside repairs and towing if your truck or trailer has a mechanical breakdown over 100 miles from home.
- Emergency expense reimbursement. Get reimbursed for lodging, transportation and phone expenses that arise from an accident yielding physical damage.
- Extended towing. Get this option to tow your truck to your choice of repair shop within 2,000 miles of the accident.
- No glass deductible. Opt for coverage to get your glass repair deductible waived.
- Personal belongings. Extend physical damage protection to personal items you keep in your truck.
- Tarps, chains and binders. Replace lost or stolen tarps, chains or binders while on the road. Works well for flatbed truck drivers.
- Passenger medical bills. Protect your family and friends from expensive medical bills if they get injured while riding along with you.
What features does 1st Guard offer for businesses?
The company offers several benefits and add-on insurance features, including a few fleet support resources:
- Towing. 1st Guard pays for the full cost of towing your truck to the nearest repair shop available.
- One deductible. The company only requires a single deductible for most accident situations.
- Occupational accidents. Owner-operators can get protection from workplace injuries too.
- Downtime coverage. Add this coverage to get paid for lost income after a covered accident.
- Fleet analytics. View live analytics of your fleet in action as well as in a monthly emailed PDF. You can also run reports 24/7 from the Online Reporting Suite.
- Workers’ compensation. Fleet owners can provide protection if employees are injured on the job.
1st Guard commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
1st Guard has little in the way of customer reviews online, possibly due to its tight niche. However, the company does hold an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and A (Excellent) financial rating with AM Best, as of October 2020.
Its parent company, 1st Guard Corporation, was established in 1937 and has also received an A+ BBB rating, showcasing the company stability.
Alternatives to 1st Guard commercial car insurance
Pros and cons of 1st Guard commercial truck insurance
- Helpful add-on coverage. The company includes a host of add-ons to give leased owner-operators wide protection.
- Discounts available. Unlike some companies, 1st Guard includes several discounts and even a referral incentive.
- Insures high-value trucks. The company offers up to $300,000 of coverage for trucks and their equipment.
- Fleet resources. 1st Guard provides fleets with an easy-to-use online management system, data analytics and dedicated fleet customer service.
- Confusing website info. The site provides some explanation of coverage and discounts in obscure locations. You’ll need to do some digging or call with questions for clarity.
- No online quotes. Instead, 1st Guard provides a contact form where you can input your details and get a quote via email.
- Leased truckers only. The company offers no insurance coverage for owner-operators who own their truck outright.