We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
I tried 100% Pure makeup to clean up my routine
High-performance beauty found in nature.
Despite clean, green beauty brands cropping up left and right and many garnering Sephora’s Clean seal, there seems to be a belief among beauty vloggers and consumers that natural products are less effective than their chemical-laden counterparts.
100% Pure is one brand that’s been rolling out innovative products — including an Allure 2019 reader’s choice award winner — that I’ve been dying to try. From skincare serums chockfull of antioxidants to makeup that’s pigmented solely by fruit, I put this line to the test to see how it measured up to my usual lineup.
I set out to test this myth and see if plant-based products can hold their own next to mainstream makeup lines.
Fruit Pigmented foundations
Packed with antioxidants from fruits like raspberry, pomegranate and apricot, these foundations offer three different coverage levels.
- Tinted Moisturizer: I was expecting sheer coverage with this one, and was pleasantly surprised it gave medium coverage with a satin matte finish. The coverage was on par with my Milk Makeup Blur Matte Liquid Foundation. I personally love that it has sun protection, though that can be a drawback for some because of camera flashback. I’ll definitely be reaching for this one again and again. It’s on the thicker side and comes in a pump bottle.
- Cream Foundation: I actually used this balm-like foundation as a spot concealer over the tinted moisturizer for extra coverage on a few errant blemishes and hyperpigmentation. It definitely gives fuller coverage and goes on fairly thick. If I was using this all over my face, I’d probably apply with a damp BeautyBlender to sheer it out just a bit.
- Water Foundation: This went on like a serum and provided the lightest coverage of the three. I found I could layer it for fuller coverage, but it felt tacky on my skin afterward. So if you plan on setting it with powder, wait for the foundation to dry to avoid smearing it. I’d compare the coverage level to bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation. It also comes with a dropper, which is helpful because it’s very fluid.
Wearing 100% Pure Tinted Moisturizer in the shade Sand/Sable and Cream Foundation in White PeachShop now
You can tell the opacity of each foundation just from the swatch — from fullest coverage to sheerest. From left to right: Cream Foundation in White Peach, Tinted Moisturizer in Sand/Sable, Water Foundation in Neutral 2.0.
From sun protection to eye cream, acne solutions and soothing milk cleansers for dryness, 100% Pure’s skincare line has options for a range of types and concerns. I tried a few popular products:
- Green Tea SPF 30: I’m usually a sucker for anything green-tea scented (or flavored, for that matter). But I wasn’t a big fan of this one. That said, I know how difficult it is to find a chemical-free sunscreen that doesn’t leave a white cast or stain clothes — and this one is it! For that, my nose can adjust. Fortunately, the scent is relatively mild and wears off quickly.
- Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream: This scent, on the other hand, had me jonesing for my morning cup of coffee even more than usual. It’s slightly sweet-smelling and like coffee with a hint of vanilla. It also smoothed out my budding crows feet and hydrated my undereye area before I applied concealer for the day.
- Multi-Vitamin + Antioxidants Ultra Riché PM Treatment: Right off the bat, this heavy-weight cream smells like fresh oranges and felt cooling on my skin. It also made me look dewy and fresh after I applied it.
- Brightening Serum: This vitamin C-packed serum went on smoothly and felt light on my skin. It felt gentle and there wasn’t any tingling like with other vitamin C products I’ve tried.
I’m loving the products I tried. Not going to lie — I didn’t have high hopes for the foundations, but they blew my expectations out of the water. I thought the coverage would be too light, but the tinted moisturizer and cream foundation held up to fuller coverage foundations — and felt lighter and more breathable. I wore each for 8+ hours and my skin was still matte by the end of the day, which is no small feat for my oily skin.
I’m equally pleased with the skincare products I tried. The sunscreen did the trick on a cloudless day spent outside on my deck — I even got used to the scent.
Brightening effects are cumulative, so I can’t comment on the serum or PM treatment’s long-term efficacy. But after a few uses, my skin felt more hydrated. I’d likely add these to my nighttime skin routine.
100% Pure deals and coupons
100% Pure Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert